Tuesday, January 27, 2009

There’s daggers in men’s smiles

When Macbeth said, “There’s daggers in men’s smiles.” I found myself thinking about how true that statement actually is. Men believe that its women, and women believe its men, but in reality every person has that “dagger” in their smile. I myself have personally sent these daggers at people. People who may not have even deserved it, but no one really does deserve daggers piercing him or her. When I was in eighth grade a friend of mine and I used to fight constantly, they were stupid little middle school fights and we make up in a week and everything would be fine. One of those times was different though, she finally made me snap and lose control. I can’t tell you what the fight was about, but I know it was really hurtful to me. I’d see her in the halls and I would get these evil glares and a very condescending smile. She always acted as if she were better than me and always looked down on me as if I weren’t important enough to even speak to her. It was hurtful to me because we had been friends for so long and we were friends since we were very little. I just couldn’t believe that we were letting a stupid little fight over who knows what. I just couldn’t believe I was going to lose such a great friend. She was getting all our friends to turn against me, and not talk to me. It was one of the hardest things in my life. After about 2 months of this going on one of our friends who stayed out of it decided enough was enough and made us sit and talk everything out. I’m grateful for that person’s will and courage to get us together and force us to talk face to face. I never would have never had the courage to talk to my friend because I was to scared to even look in the face. I feared getting those daggers Macbeth had once talked about. It’s been about four years now and we haven’t fought once since eighth grade. No more evil glares or daggers in the form of a smile. I don’t think we as people realize the hurt we cause people when we shoot them the daggers. It feels as if there is literally a dagger sticking in your back. The pain may go away but the scars of those wounds will never leave you. I know this first hand. I know it sounds hypocritical of me to say that people have scarred me with these daggers, because I have done exactly the same thing to at least four other people that I can think of off the top of my head. I should know that what I do is wrong, that I know what these people are going through because I myself went through, so I find myself asking after every little fight I get into why are the daggers still present. Well the answer is, I can’t help it! I’m only human.

No comments:

Post a Comment